Saturday 14 May 2011

Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Book 1 in the Gallagher Girls series


Going into this book I half-expected it to be only ok- a bit childish and silly, a little bit of light reading- but it way exceeded all my expectations. This book was hilariously funny, very clever, and very sweet. My advice- don't read this book while eating your lunch, unless you like snorting apple juice up your nose (you have been warned!)


The Gallagher Academy is a school for training future spies masquerading as a snooty boarding school for exceptional young women. Right from the beginning of this novel, I couldn't help feeling a kind of excitement like I was diving into a brand new Harry Potter- it's a fantastical school where absolutely anything can happen. There's a nuclear powered hovercraft in the basement, the statues carry enough electricity to set your hair on fire if touched, and notes are passed in class on evapopaper which can be eaten if you are caught. As the daughter of the headmistress Cammie has spent her holidays at the school, and now knows every secret passageway and trick of the school- which comes in handy when you need to sneak out.


Cammie has spent her high school life training as a spy. She can speak 14 languages, is trained in martial arts, can crack codes, absail down buildings and follow a target through a crowd without being seen. But when it comes to talking to boys she is completely out of her depth! Cammie is used to being unnoticed, blending in, so when a hot guy notices her and tries to talk to her, her first thought is that he obviously must be honeytrap! This launches Cammie and her friends into an hilarious investigation into Josh's life, hacking into his computer emails and breaking into his bedroom. Finding out more about him also involves explosives, sneaking a tracker into his shoes, and hardest of all- trying to decide what to wear for a date. Cammie is helped by her best friends who are clumsy computer whiz Liz, and tough-talking Bex.


What happens when you are dating someone who can never know anything about your life or who you really are? Loved this book- its funny, cool, and smart and I'm definitely going to read book 2.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower!

    This one sounds like a really cute read! I love it when books exceed my expectations, and it sounds like this one definitely did that. The idea of the school training spies sounds like an interesting idea, and the main character sounds really cute as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'm so glad you liked it! I've been wanting to read this for such a long time but held back because I thought it was kiddy. Glad it's not so! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva