Thursday 21 July 2011

The Time Will Come #24

The Time Will Come is a weekly meme hosted by Jodie at Books For Company where we can spotlight those books that we've had sitting on our shelves for too long. Books that we really want to read and never seem to get around to.

I've had Glimpse on my shelves for absolutely ages. I bought it after reading a few good reviews, (and partly because I thought the cover was really pretty- I'm shallow!)
I knew when I bought it that it was about a girl who was close to her sister, whose world fell apart when said sister tried to kill herself and she realised that she had no idea about her life. I thought it sounded like a powerful story. What I didn't realise until it dropped through the letterbox is that it is all written in verse. I'm not too sure how I will get on reading a 500 page poem, I think I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it. Anybody else read this? Is it good?

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Twelve year old girl Hope's life is turned upside down when her older sister Lizzie becomes an elective mute and is institutionalized after trying to kill herself. Ever since their dad died Hope and Lizzie have relied on each other from a young age. Their mother is a reluctant and unreliable parent at best, who turns tricks to support the family. Throughout the course of this lyrical and heartbreaking narrative readers and Hope discover that the mother is prostituting Lizzie and it’s up to Hope to bring the truth to light to save her sister.

4 comments:

  1. Boy this book looks heavy! I can see why you're reluctant to start it. I noticed you are reading She Smells The Dead. Cool cover! How is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! I'm loving She Smells The Dead so far- it's really quirky, supernatural and romantic. The funny thing is that I've also got the UK version of Book 9 in the Morganville vampires series (Ghost Town), and it has the exact same cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost got this book but when I heard that it was written in verse I decided not to. I've only read one other book in verse and while it was a pleasant enough read it didn't really allow me to connect with the characters at all. Books in verse are often quick reads though, so keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this does sound good but a very difficult read!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva