Sunday 18 September 2011

In My Mailbox 18th September 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly event hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren, where book bloggers can talk about the books they've gotten the past week- whether bought, borrowed, swapped or given for review. This feature was started to increase interaction between bloggers and increase our awareness of all the new books coming out.


These are the books that I got over the past fortnight (I didn't do an IMM last week).
I got some good'uns!

Bought:


  • Vanish by Sophie Jordan. This is a preorder that I've been waiting for for ages, and I'm so happy that it's finally come! This is the sequel to Firelight and continues Jacinda and Will's story. Dragons, magic and forbidden love (plus these covers are just gorgeous).





  • A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard. This was a charity shop bargain that I grabbed while I was just browsing. I've seen it about on a few people's IMMs lately and like the look of it. A rag-tag band of survivors take refuge in the ruins of an abandoned fairground following a sudden war.



Bought for the kindle:

  • Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen. I've had my eye on these books for ages- I loved the Luxe series by this author and I'm sure that these books will be just as filled with intrigues, betrayals, secret affairs and scheming. This is set in the 1920s and follows a group of flapper girls. This is free for kindle at the moment.



  • Demon Girl by Penelope Fletcher. Demons, faeries and humanity on the brink of destruction. I'm not sure about this one but it was free, so...  :)





  • Hurricane by Jenna-Lynne Duncan. This one wasn't free but still pretty cheap. About a girl who is kidnapped by one of her classmates during Hurricane Katrina and kept in a house surrounded by a swamp and alligators. I like the sound of this one (even though it does sound pretty sinister) and it's getting mostly 5 star ratings on Goodreads.



From the Library:



  • Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien. A dystopian adventure story. Set in the future in a world gone wrong and following a young midwife trying to rescue her parents.







For Review:
  • Crave by Melissa Darnell. The tagline on the cover says "Bloodlust, Magic, Forbidden Secrets" sounds cool but I just liked the pretty picture! Gorgeous cover and a story about vampires, witches and a forbidden romance.
Thanks to Harlequin publishers and netgalley for a review copy of this book


  • You Are My Only by Beth Kephart. A young mother whose baby is kidnapped. This book focuses on 14 years later.
From Goodreads-Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the “No Good.” One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that opens Sophie’s eyes, giving her the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever…
The riveting stories of Emmy and Sophie—alternating narratives of loss, imprisonment, and freedom regained—escalate with breathless suspense toward an unforgettable climax.

Thanks to Egmont Publishers and netgalley for the review copy of this book.


Those were all the books that came into my house the past two weeks. I'm really excited to read all of them. What did you get in your mailbox?



7 comments:

  1. I need to get my hands on Vanish! I quite enjoyed Firelight. Lots of yummy books there. I've heard lots of good things about birthmarked - can't wait to see what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've chosen some really great books this week Sally. Looking forward to hearing what you think of Hurricane. I'm holding out on buying that one until I hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do need to read Vanish! Love the cover for it, and also, Scarlet look like an awesome read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my only sounds pretty good, I'll be looking out for your review.

    I can't wait to read Birthmarked, I've heard such positive things about it :)

    You're lucky getting Kiss in the Dark in a charity shop, isn't that one relatively new?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read A Small Free Kiss In The Dark (although I haven't written a review of it yet :-() and it's REALLY good so well done with the charity shop bargain!

    Lyrical Review's IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. hurricane does sound really good!

    http://forevertonowhere.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been pining after vanish for sooo long!!! Hope it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva