Monday 4 June 2012

Review: Purity by Jackson Pearce


Purity by Jackson Pearce


My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



Source: Audiobook


Synopsis from Goodreads:
A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.
Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.



I really liked this book. It's fun, it's sweet, heartwarming, and too cute. Jackson Pearce has never disappointed me with a single one of her books. Sisters Red and Sweetly are wonderful but darker and heavier, whereas As You Wish and Purity are more light hearted books. But I have loved all of them, and find all them so enjoyable and easy to read.

I would describe this as a contemporary book. Shelby and her Dad don't really communicate anymore, and live as virtual strangers together. Shelby's father decides to enter them into a daddy/daughter Princess Ball, in the hope of bringing them closer together, part of which involves Shelby taking a public vow to live a pure life and to obey her father.

Shelby thinks that a loophole to out of this vow, is by losing her virginity before taking the pledge, and she and her friends try to come up with plans to "get laid" within 5 weeks. I loved her friends, their funny stories, and the humour woven throughout the narration, but Shelby's attitudes and casual stance toward having sex annoyed me a little. I couldn't see why she just couldn't talk to her dad about why she didn't want to go through with the vow.  She is a little irresponsible and reckless at times as well.

But despite this I really liked Purity. It's a little bit corny, and predictable, but I don't even care because the writing is so good, and the characters are all so wonderfully quirky, that it is compelling reading. It has laughs and plenty of heart, and Shelby grows a lot in an emotional journey. This book is perfect for when you want a short, fun, light read that you don't have to think about too hard.




2 comments:

  1. I've read some very good things about this one. I'll have to check it out.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Purity myself. I really did enjoy it. I thought the whole issue of the Princess Ball would be more deeply explored. I guess it was meant to be Shelby's tale instead of the issue.
    I'm glad you enjoyed Purity. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva